What is the difference between stress and anxiety and how do you deal with these feelings?
Stress is the feeling of being under too much mental or emotional pressure. Sometimes it can motivate you to get something done (to remove whatever is making you stressed) but too much of it can start to affect your health.
Anxiety is the feeling of worry, nervousness or unease about something with an uncertain outcome.
In fact, anxiety can make you stressed!
Common sources of stress:
- Loss of a job
- Working hours and work load
- Presentations (for some)
Common sources of anxiety:
- Attending an interview
- Sitting an exam
- Getting exam results (maybe from school or medical exam)
How to know if you are stressed:
Look out for these are four categories of symptoms:
Behavioral – Eating more or less
Physical – Frequent colds and flu
Emotional – Depression or general unhappiness
Cognitive – Constant worrying
Top 5 ways to deal with stress and anxiety:
Knowing the source of stress or anxiety is the best way to start when developing ways to handle it. You can either change the situation or change your reaction.
Consider the four A’s – Avoid, Alter, Adapt or Accept
If you choose to accept the situation (that is making you stressed or anxious) then here are some ways to relax:
- Go for a walk (distraction, fresh air and exercise) all good things to lift your mood
- Talk with others (holding things in can often make the situation worse, maybe by sharing it you will learn new solutions)
- Make time for fun and relaxation – can’t go wrong with a trip to the spa
- Read a book (another great way to be distracted)
- Practice Yoga and meditation
We’ve got some great products in our Bath & Body range why not check them out for more ideas on how to de-stress!